Sunday, February 20, 2011

How to buy a car in 6 short hours

We have needed a new car for a while now. Our 2000 Chevrolet Impala was the first car I ever bought and with 245,000 miles, a/c that doesn't work, random warning lights popping on whenever they wanted, headlights didn't work, and my dad taking apart the engine on nothing but a prayer...well it's been a good car but it just wants to go peacefully to car heaven.

We have been putting it off thinking we'll just wait till the darn thing dies (it's paid off so why not?!) Well Friday Brewerman saw coolant leaking out (he said spewing out but I'm pretty sure it was dripping). So we decided that and another hot long summer looming over us means we need to go check out another car.

We went expecting to buy a car or very small SUV. We didn't mind buying new if we got a good enough deal or financing, but we also were looking at pre-owned. We just wanted very low miles as we keep our cars for at least 10 years.

Oh and did I mention the kids were coming with us? So we started out knowing this would be fun times. I figured they would see the kids and want to get us the heck out of there faster. Sadly looking back that was most definitely not the case.

We get there about 10:00am and the salesmen start coming over. Then I don't know how but we got a salesman that is from out of town just in for this promotion they are doing. He asks me if Christopher is 1. I tell him 2, and he tells me he is such a short little guy for 2. Normally I'd just blow him off but he was adamant...dude. If you don't know what you are talking about say nothing at all. My 98 percentile son is definitely NOT short for 2.

I knew right then this guy must be a few bricks short of a wall. I was right

So after looking at many options, including the Escape, he tells me about this Ford Explorer he has that they are trying to get rid of. It's brand new, but a 2010 model. He goes on and on about how they are willing to lose money blah blah blah blah.

Well we test drive it and of course love it. It has third row which is great for us, among other things. So we start the dealing process. He tells us that we are such a great family and they just love what we have done with the boys so they are really just going to be straight forward with us. Yeah right guy, you are not going to soften me by telling me how great we are because our family is made through adoption. We aren't heroes and both of us know you don't have a "you adopted inter racially so you are such a great person" discount.

Pshaw.

6 hours later we finally get a deal. That includes me telling him that the "deal" he is giving me I would be able to get on any of the 2011 models, and that he is going to have to do better than that. Brewerman was quietly letting me beat the guy to a pulp, figuratively speaking of course, and just sits back and smiles. Finally we just leave and the guy runs to us in the parking lot as we are leaving telling us he'll pay the taxes. Sold! We were happy with that, the salesman however...was not happy. I still had to call him on a few other things and by the end of it he told me he has never had to work so hard on a sale in all his life. I was satisfied with that.

We ended up getting a pretty good deal I think, about 8,000$ off MSRP. Plus this thing has every option we would have wanted, and not a lot "extra" as we don't like a lot of bells and whistles. Well we don't like to "pay" for all those bells and whistles. Plus this baby will fit us well into 10 years if not more. Oh my...then the boys will be teenagers. Teenagers!! This will probably be Cooper's first car. DAH! Okay I have to stop now. I'm freaking myself out!!


Here it is:
Don't mind the long snout, the angle of the pic was a little odd. 

And just think you too can get a deal this great! Just take two hyper boys to a dealership, shake them up, then let them have at them. 6 short hours later you were be driving off in your brand new car! Fun doesn't even begin to describe it.

1 comment:

  1. Love, LOVE, LOVE this one! And congrats on the sweet new ride! I'm jealous now! :)

    ReplyDelete