Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Whole Lotta Brew

If someone were to randomly come into my home not knowing a thing about us they would probably think we are some major alcoholics.

Then again what the heck are they doing in my darned house anyway!?

We would look totally normal until they entered what used to be my husband's closet, but is quickly turning into our over sized fermenter. There they would see the over 30 gallons of various fermenting beers and wines. Oh and don't even think about suggesting he move his clothes into my closet and redo it to where it's his beer room. He hasn't thought of it yet and I refuse to give up an inch of my beautiful walk in closet's space.

Okay well maybe if he figured out how to make me a really really yummy apple cider. Then I just might be willing.

Nope. Nevermind. Not even then.

Here's the lowdown on what we got bubbling right now:

- 5 gallons Apfelwine (German style Apple Wine, it's a dry and tart wine...tastes like sparkling white wine, but you have to be patient...this takes a while for the flavors to come through. 6 months minimum. We almost threw all ours away last time and luckily saved a few bottles. Before 6 months - tastes like sparkling sweat. After - YUM!)

- 6 gallons Reisling (Reisling Wine, sweet and medium dry with hints of pear and apricot. This was my christmas present from the boys which I made Brewerman brew for me. Makes about 30 bottles of wine and lasts me all year! Win!)

- 5 gallons English Pale Ale (English style Pale Ale, dry and crisp. Not as dry as an American pale ale. Some residual sweetness)

- 5 gallons American Pale Ale (American style Pale Ale, dry, crisp, refreshing with up front hop bitterness and finishes clean and slightly sweet)

- 5 gallons Bavarian Hefeweizen (German Style Wheat Beer, crisp and refreshing with aromas of cloves and bananas. True to Bavarian style.)

- 5 gallons Manda-weizen (Hefeweizen with mandarin oranges, German style Wheat Beer, 3 lbs of Mandarin oranges in the fermenter, again same as above with a more citrusy taste and aroma, will probably be sweeter also)

Whoa baby! So...in the area? Feel like a beer? Want a really great and flavorful beer or glass of wine with good company?

Go to the liquor store and buy yourself some craft beer or some wine. Then come on over and we'll swap you. Because while I love this man dearly he doesn't share.

Chilling the wort in his new little 10 gallon set up he got for Christmas.

Cold break in the Pale Ale. See the particles floating in there?
That's the proteins coagulating after chilling rapidly from boil to 68 degrees.
Then you pitch the yeast.

Starter Yeast.
Like a many beer that prepares the yeast to ferment the larger amount of beer.
Lots and lots of fermenting beer. And wine.

English Mild. Pretty pretty young thing.

1 comment:

  1. The Reisling sounds delicious, Nat! I bet this has been lots of fun for you guys. I'd love to share a glass with ya. LOL.

    ReplyDelete