Monday, November 22, 2010

Big Boy Bed Alarm Clock

So let me start by saying what a great sleeper my Lil'Guy is. He always has been, goes straight to bed, wakes up usually right after Lil'Dude. Never wakes up in the middle of the night unless he has to go pee pee. (Yes I say pee pee, even when I'm at work, which could be embarrassing if I'd notice....but I don't.)

Who knew that the hardest thing about putting Lil' Guy in a big boy bed would be to keep him OUT of Lil' Dudes!? I expected a roll-off. I expected some crying. I even expected a few "find the peg-peg" (his stuffed penguin) sessions in the middle of the night.

What I did NOT expect was to hear Lil'Dude saying "Lil'Guy go to BED! Shhhh!" at nap time (ok so I never expected that to ever happen, period), or hear them giggling at 3am in lil'dude's room. Or last night, when I heard them singing the Wonder Pets theme song very loudly.

Adorable? Yes. At 1am? Not so much.

At this point I'm thinking we put the little late night chatterbox back in his crib but put ceiling to floor crib rails to keep him from climbing out. I mean the whole reason we took the rails off is, well let's face it, it's because we felt like we should. He had really only half tried to climb out once, and he was doing fine sleeping. But he's almost 3, and he looks 3, and everyone else was doing it.

Yup, "everyone else was doing it" is still a valid excuse past high school. You'd be surprised what you do as parents because everyone else is doing it.

Like having a bounce house at your birthday party. Or having a birthday party period.

Where was I now?

Oh yes. Brewerman thinks bunk beds will fix everything. I think Brewerman is nuts. Scratch that - Brewerman is nuts. Why would we willingly put those two in the same room? What would that solve except add MORE late night singing sessions. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he wanted to build them bunk beds when they were barely 1 and 2.

If a child is too young for a bumper in their crib I'm pretty sure that means we are a little early for bunk beds, honey.

Anyhow, so far I'm personally thoroughly unimpressed with all things big boy. Totally overrated. But Lil'Guy is loving it, and he's so very proud of himself. You should see him. All walking out on his own telling us he's ready to get up. At 4am.

1 comment: