Friday, April 1, 2011

The Month of Zero Expenses

Okay so can I just be honest here? I so don't want to blog about this.

Why blog at all? Well because I'm a blabbermouth who can out-talk a thirteen year old after that omg-cute guy just told her he wanted to go out with her which really just means go to the movies and say their together while standing 12 feet apart and giggling. Well, at least that is what it USED to mean...nowadays it's basically second base. *sigh* I hate that, but I digress...

Why blog about THIS at all? I want to be accountable. Much like the food journal I'll never have since I snack way too much and like to lie to myself. A lot. I'm a size 6 in my head.

But I'm doing the blog anyway. Why? Because our budget will be tighter with three kids, plus we won't have the energy to go out to eat with three babies...okay one baby and two toddlers....okay okay, one baby, one toddler, and one child. *SOB*, NO three babies. You can't stop me. They are my babies. So there.

Plus we have an adoption to pay for over here, so we need to scrimp and scrape everything we can to help us prepare for that cost. Like literally scrape. If you could see my bank account it'd be all fed up with scratches and chunks taken out.

To start us off right we did a heavy grocery shop these two weeks. Remember The Nat-o-Planner post? Well, that is still in full swing but we have started the habit of going out to eat once or twice during the weekend and some lunches during the week. Nothing crazy but still, it adds up. Especially when we will have three kids in daycare *GAG*.

So today is day 1. What is saving us so far is we have a rocking menu this week. This is important I think in meal planning. If you aren't excited about what you are planning to eat chances are you wont want to make it. That also means we planned on two "fun" days. Or as we call them - splurge days. Since we are on a constant diet, we take one day a week and eat whatever we want. Normally we eat out, but instead we are deciding on a yummy meal (or two) we'll make at home. This week it's pulled pork with baked beans for dinner and Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast with bacon and eggs for breakfast. I told you it was splurge day. Plus I get coffee!!! One day I'll tell you why that excites me so much.

So far, so good. Yes yes it's day 1 but still, I think we rock.

This weekend will be hard. And this isn't just about food either, though you wouldn't know it by reading this post and obviously seeing where my priorities lie. Man you're a fatty, Natalie. We are also focusing on free fun things to do around town with the kiddos, which we have a plethora of here but we just don't utilize them as much as we should. We are trying to keep any outside little expenses down, so no bowling or movies, etc. Instead we'll go fishing, play games at home, and pretty much be bored out of our minds. Kidding! I'm sure we are going to have a blast!

I'm actually excited. It's stressful but it's also challenging. You feel like a total d-bag when you can't go out to eat with everyone at work but at the end of the month you get "back" enough to make up for it. Like time eating at home as a family, around the table, something that is VERY important to us. And most of the times you get more creative and get back to simpler ways to keep busy and have a good time.


And if I keep typing I can almost convince myself this is going to be fun times. In actuality budget planning while trying to save to pay for an adoption sucks!! But it's a necessary evil for us to form a family, and it's all very much worth it in the end.

Thank heavens we don't have to worry about buying beer and wine.

Whew.

2 comments:

  1. It will be so worth it! And have you ever been to Addison Circle Park? I told Jane about it, I don't think Addison too far from you guys & that park is totally free & would be a blast for the boys on summer days--My little boy loved it last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with the weather warming up, ya'll need to bring the boys out to the greenhouse and see all the color! And the horse... They seemed to like that :)

    ReplyDelete