Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Moment You Think "I got this"

We have had some struggles lately with Lil'Dude. I have noticed in the last month or so that he has been a little more hyper...and wiggly. He has had more and more red cards lately, and had a harder and harder time during nap time at daycare. He has been hitting his brother more, becoming a little more aggressive.

Now, there are a lot of things that could contribute. He is growing out of naps, they switched teachers at school, he has been watching a lot of super hero-ish TV, etc. but I know it has a lot to do with him being ready for school and the structure school brings. We are sick of summer here.

I mean - nap time? Let's see....quiet room...ADHD kid.....it's like filling up a blender full of water and telling it not to spill. We work with him constantly so that's not the case either. We cut off all fighting-like TV including the newly-found-love of Power Rangers.

We have talked to daycare about different things to try during nap (helping the teacher prepare for the day, harder school work to do, making him lay down half the time and up at a table the other half), and things to do during the day. But to be frank? I just want school to start already.

School will help, this kid needs structure. He LOVES to learn. He thrives in school. Plus they "have" to work with him. They know how to deal with kids that have ADHD (even though they never saw one minute of it in Pre-K last year because Lil'Dude only went to school there for 2 hours).

So while part of me is balking at the idea that my little boy will be in Kindergarten and really does want to sit down looking at pictures of him as a baby and sobbing hysterically, wiping away snot from my face and talking incoherently about my baby boy.....

There is a part of me that wants to shove him through the door the minute they open and walk away wiping my hands together with a smug smile on my face. Is that terrible? Probably....but all those who read that and judged me have no idea. The ones that are laughing right now and thinking "YES but I can't believe she actually wrote that out loud!"...you know...I got you....we are going to be the ones toasting with a mimosa the first day of school versus sobbing on each other's shoulder.

It's not that I don't want to deal with him or expect the school's teacher to do it all. Not at all, I will be very involved and all that jazz. I just am sick of daycare. I'm tired of dealing with teachers who aren't certified. I am sick of feeling like I have to apologize for my kid. I'm REALLY sick of having to wonder if my kid is going to get kicked out from another daycare. I'm ready to get down to the nitty gritty with teachers and make a plan of attack since they can't kick him out. I'm ready to take him to an environment that I know he is not only ready for, but he needs.

So one more month....just one more stinking month of naps and daycare, and red cards. Of course then I'm in the land of IEP appointments, teacher conferences, and school counselors who tell me I'm crazy. Ah well, armed with a diagnosis from my doctor, my newly-found confidence, and a kid that loves to learn?

We got this.

Maybe. Hopefully. Probably.

Okay so we got this-ish.

And hell if we don't got this, well I guess we'll just have to change our definition of "this" until we do.


Oh and YES, tomorrow is our homestudy. We got that too. Maybe. We are a little nervous since we asked Lil'Dude yesterday what happens when he gets in trouble and he replied "We get needles put in our arms." WHAT!? Then he laughed and said "Oh wait...I go to time out or to my room." and we smiled.

That is, until Lil'Guy chimed in (with an evil look on his face) "We don't talk about hiding from daddy."

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment