Monday, April 2, 2012

Never go to Home Depot Hungry

I learned an important lesson about myself this weekend.

Never...EVER go to Home Depot hungry. Or if I am feeling particularly crafty and confident that day.

Why you say?

Because THIS happens:


And that isn't seeing the front seat jammed full of herbs and flowers.

Oops.

So what happened was...

We decided to add some edging and mulch to our flower bed, well..more like "bush" bed, and let's just be honest by that point it could have probably been deemed weed bed. So I decided to try to turn my tortured withered black thumb to green by adding flowers myself.

And off I went with my oldest son in tow to buy a few flowers.

Then all the herbs and veggies were 50% off. Then I got cocky and randomly had the thought that I could pull off a pot garden (he he he). Then I got hungry. Then I saw someone buying tomatoes and got competitive and wanted to plant some darn tomatoes too. Then salsa sounded good so I got jalapenos. Then I smelled the mint and thought of mojitos.Then Lil'Dude wanted the Peach Tree.

Then I forgot I drove our Explorer that day. Oops again. It was awkward driving with a tree tickling my ear but we managed. Mostly so Brewerman couldn't say I-told-you-so.

Then I remembered that I suck and don't even know what I am doing with any of it. That was about mid-trip home with my car loaded with things-to-be-planted.

So thankfully Vanerellian came to my rescue with her Little Tykes shovel and kids and we got everything planted and in pots. Then we read the misleading instructions to the herbs and veggies, had to re-dig them all up and replant them again. So, after that and a quick session involving staring at a large hole and deciding the best way to fill it while the kids were fighting/playing/fighting/playing/dumping water all over/fighting/begging not to go/jumping over hole/fighting/playing, we were done!

Brewerman worked his tail off getting all the edging in place and mulch laid in the front. It turned out quite gorgeous and even though it's not Picaso, well it's just what we wanted without doing anything too permanent or costly...or weeding and watering daily.

I don't want to be committed. I'm a playa.

See those little tiny spots of yellow in the front and on the sides? Those are my tiny flowers...
10 points for those who spot: Random Dickie's cup, creepy tree, dead clipped part of bush, and Donatello

And as for the pot garden (he he he) in the back here is what we ended up with:
Chives, Cilantro, Basil, Mint, Jalapeno Peppers, Rosemary Mild Jalapeno Peppers, Two Tomato plants, and a Partridge in a Peach Tree.

My Pot Garden (he he he)
Okay so I was a little messy and our grass needs some work. I get it but let's not get carried away here..

Oh, and I didn't do organic (as you can see), figured I need all the help I can get. Even from unpronounceable chemicals that promise double the growth. I choose to just ignore it and enjoy the fruits of my maybe-harvest.



P.s......Remember The Worst Easter Ever post!? Well...let's just say that plans are in place and I am making up for it baby! Easter - here we come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment