Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lil'Guy & the Ultimate TMNT Obsession

This blog isn't for you.

I know.

Rude.

Sorry about that (kind of).

This blog is for me. Well, really it's for future can't-remember-sh...er...anything me. It's for the day that my youngest son is finally taller than I am. It's for the first time (yes I'm assuming there will be more than one) I get a call from school about my youngest smart mouth son and some sort of fight happening. It's for when he stays out too late and finds me waiting up for him, ready to lay into him. It's also for that time when he walks off for that first date with the girl that just isn't ever going to be good enough for him.

This blog is about my favorite 4 year old in the universe right now...Lil'Guy...or should I say Teenage Mutant Ninja Lil'Guy.

This dude is obsessed you guys. For real. No, seriously. He is totally off the wall with Ninja Turtles. Have I dated myself enough with these references born in 2002? No? Well my Lil'Guy seriously thinks Ninja Turtles are all that and a bag of chips. They are, in his eyes, da bomb diggity.

I love it.

He has every toy (literally) made this year. He has paraphernalia everywhere. He has a TMNT lava lamp. He carries a weapon from one of them every second that he isn't at school or church. He wears a mask every chance he gets. He would watch the movies 24 / 7 if he didn't have an older brother that is so over TMNT.


Leonardo with his Leonardo Go Kart riding for big brothers birthday.
Yes he did coordinate that car with his mask.


He bawled his eyes out when I suggested turning one of his cheaper / crappier Ninja Turtle action figure toys into a Christmas ornament (after not finding any that year in any stores).
Oh the horror.
He then bawled his eyes out again when his new $20 ornament (that I special ordered from Amazon thankyouverymuch) came in and he had to put it on the tree instead of hoarding it with his others in his TMNT laundry bag.
Sorry Lil'Guy. Not feeling sorry for you at all.
I paid $7 in shipping alone. The ornament stays on the tree. Forever. 
Every week he tries to find a reference for that week's letter to TMNT so he can bring his TMNT toys to show and tell. This week was "I", finally feeling sorry for him I gave him the suggestions of "intelligent" for Donatello. Then we figured out Iron Man and thought it was more appropriate so he sulkily agreed to take that instead (he had brought Donatello 40 times already for show and tell...don't feel too sorry for him). Speaking of figures...he always artfully takes the four ninja turtles and arranges them each day where they are together in a pack. Most days we find them on the coffee table like this:

TMNT Kumbaya.

Which, yes, means most days Lil'Dude's greatest joy in life is when he knocks them all down and hears his brother whine and cry then they usually end in some kind of tumble. Usually it's this time that Lil'Miss gleefully picks up said figures and finally gets to play with them while Lil'Guy is otherwise engaged. Our house is like the best circus show ever. Brewerman and I just sit on the couch with popcorn and pop in whenever there is a high probability of blood.

Back to turtles:

Lil'Guy calls his red bike his Raphael bike. Yes, we normally force the child to wear a helmet, but he snuck off this time without us noticing until halfway through the bike ride. Come on. We have like 4,000 kids now, give us a break.
It's a bird! It's a plane!
No! It's...Michelangelo on Raphael's bike?

He calls the blue cups in our house Leonardo cups. Much to the delight of his K-State obsessed Aunt and Uncle he loves K-State because of Donatello. It's the Donatello Football Team.

Leonardo Santa ready to pass out gifts.
My Lil'Guy would probably pass out if he ever actually met the Ninja Turtles. He gets upset when there isn't a new cartoon out that week. In order to watch the cartoons, he has to pause it so he can go get his weapons and mask on. He would put the whole costume but it's getting a little tight so luckily Nana got him a jacket he can wear instead. After the cartoon is over, during the theme song, he is bouncing around the living room doing some kicking ninja moves.

When new friends come over, if he really likes you, you will get assigned as a Ninja Turtle. Much to my good friends daughter, Myamsoawesome chagrin, if you are a girl, you do not get to be assigned to one. Sorry folks but there are no girl ninja turtles. This is not negotiable people. If you are assigned a ninja turtle for the day, you will get a mask and weapon...unless he happens to want both weapons which in case you get a crappy version of that weapon while he keeps the real one.

No as a matter of fact, he WASN'T happy to be wearing the wrong colored mask / weapon combo.
We were running late, there were threats. We settled on Michelangelo.

A word of caution: if you are assigned a ninja turtle...and you take off that mask and do not want to be one any more. You will then become mortal enemies. Poor little Jo-ulk. Luckily he's too busy quieting his inner-really-really-angry person to care too much about what Lil'Dude thinks. They WILL be BFF's one day though. Vanerellian and I will see to that.

I have never seen this child-like obsession from a child of mine. Lil'Dude gets "into" things, but not like this. Not anywhere near this. Lil'Guy is so obsessed with TMNT it's hilarious.

Most of all, what is the most hilarious, is that when my Brewerman wanted babies he wanted two things: a kid who likes baseball (Lil'Dude), and a kid who liked TMNT (Lil'Guy). God delivered.

What? It's 70 degrees? Who cares.
Go ahead...ask me to take it off.

Pretty freaking awesome people.

One day we will have to retire those masks and action figures. Like Brewerman's mom did when he was 17 and it was getting awkward. I will put away those TMNT action figures in a box once he finally stops playing with them in high school and remember them forever as a piece of my son's childhood. Then he will pry them from my cold hands if he EVER thinks I'm giving them back to him, even as an adult. Unless my grand babies like them. Oy vey. Grand babies.

Did I mention I'm going to be 30 this year? Yech.

1 comment:

  1. Awe!!!! Its what I wish my little brother was! Seriously, my brother is the one that introduced me to TMNT and started my crazy obsession. Then he says he just loves all the new shows. Seriously....... Looks like lil guy is having fun. Does he have friends that he got into tmnt ( I got my best friend obsessed with it Mwahaha ). Trust me, when he finds a friend that also loves tmnt, get their names addresses and parents phone numbers because those two will become inseparable.

    ReplyDelete